That time of year has come upon us once again, Ramadan! There are many reasons it's my favorite month (apart from the religious and spiritual context). Here are a few:
- Vimto becomes the official drink of the month (Vimto gets the BIGGEST boost in sales during this month alone!).
- Less work, more sleep (never managed not napping in the evening).
- Some people are calmer, more friendly (note the word "some").
- For some reason food is much tastier.
- Related to the above, some food I only enjoy or even eat during Ramadan (like Harees ).
- Roads and some places are much calmer after breaking fast.
- You have an excuse to stay up at night (or until dawn for some people :-/).
- Tents, tents and more tents!
- You may end up being invited to someone's every day for the rest of the month to break fast (this can also be a downside).
- Eid comes right after .
Of course it's not all fun and games, there are a few downsides:
- A lot of food is wasted… Come on, you know you won't eat that whole dish! I at least get full pretty fast during Ramadan.
- If you do eat the whole dish above: some people end up in the hospital's ER soon after breaking fast. Take it easy .
- Some places do not reopen later, so if you need something you better get it in the morning.
- Some people get grumpy during the month. I blame either lack of sleep or their low glucose levels.
- Low sugar levels + driving + getting to or from work in a hurry = accidents (plus grumpy drivers).
- You feel like you haven't done anything productive in the day, especially if you end up sleeping to pass time.
- It's summer, and Bahrain has been witnessing the hottest months in history lately (May 2012 was the hottest in 100 years).
To sum everything up, I wish everyone a Ramadan Kareem